Job Title: Executive Chef
NOC / Eligible Industry: 6321
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Salary: $50-$60k yearly based on qualifications
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Number of Requirements: 1
Location: Truro, Nova Scotia
Direct all food operations, including food preparation and quality, physical maintenance and inventory functions, to ensure hotel standards and revenue goals are met, food and supply costs are controlled, and a unique guest experience is being delivered. Ensure compliance with all governmental regulations concerning health, safety or other requirements.
Our guests to relax and be themselves which means we need you to:
• Be you by being natural, professional and personable in the way you are with people
• Get ready by taking notice and using your knowledge so that you are prepared for anything
• Show you care by being thoughtful in the way you welcome and connect with guests
• Take action by showing initiative, taking ownership and going the extra mile
As Executive Chef, it is of utmost importance to foster a spirit of teamwork while ensuring the department provides superior customer service to hotel employees and guests alike.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans. Monitor budget and control expenses with a focus on food, beverage and labour costs.
- In partnership with other department heads, identify additional sales opportunities to enhance revenue.
- Drive promotions that deliver great dining experiences for our guests.
- Ensure all credit and financial transactions are handled in a secure manner, including product orders and delivery.
- Maintain updated and accurate costing and documentation of all dishes prepared and sold in the F&B operations.
- Schedule Kitchen employees in accordance with forecasted occupancy; adjust staffing levels as necessary.
- Manage day-to-day kitchen activities, plan and assign work and establish performance and development goals for team members. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict and improve team member performance.
- Educate and train team members in compliance with brand standards, service behaviours and governmental regulations. Ensure staff members have the tools, training and equipment to carry out job duties.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Assist sales, catering and banquet staff with banquets, parties and other special events.
- Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies.
- Be prepared to be available when the hotel is busy and when the department is short-staffed.
- Lead employee meetings and one-on-one sessions; prepare employee performance and/or disciplinary reports.
- Ensure General Manager is informed of all unusual problems or matters of significance.
- Maintain excellent communication with all departments in the hotel.
- Monitor departmental staff daily to ensure that uniform and grooming standards are maintained.
- Ensure that all food facilities and equipment are cleaned and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume. Notify engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
- Establish and achieve quality and guest satisfaction goals. Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction.
- Analyze guest insights to identify and meet customer expectations and build on guest loyalty. Interact with guests to ensure expectations are being met.
- Oversee menu planning.
- Conduct routine inspections of the kitchen operations and take immediate actions to correct any deficiencies.
- Monitor HeartBeat scores regularly on Merlin, identify any problem areas, assist in formulating solutions and perform employee follow-up as required.
- Maintain confidentiality for both guests and employees.
- Manage “buy local” marketing program for the hotel; participate in and maintain Holiday Inn food marketing programs and promotions. Monitor local competitors and industry trends.
- Ensure the security and proper storage of F&B products, inventory and equipment and replenish supplies in a timely and efficient manner while minimizing waste.
- Ensure that all menu items are prepared and presented according to established recipes and standards.
- Assist in developing menu design for all food outlets and catering events. Monitor competitor and industry trends.
- Maintain procedures to ensure the security and proper storage of F&B products, inventory and equipment. Replenish supplies in a timely manner and minimize waste and pilferage.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment and storerooms are in proper operational condition and are cleaned regularly.
- Adhere to governmental regulations as well as brand standards and hotel or company policies and procedures.
- Must be willing to work shifts and weekends. Must be able to work rapidly during busy periods while remaining calm and professional.
- Follow shift checklists to ensure all duties are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintain and order supplies and equipment in a timely and efficient manner while minimizing waste and maintaining ‘green’ initiatives (example: recycling and cleaning agents).
- Maintain safe working conditions within the kitchen and the hotel; adhere to company policies regarding WHMIS, OH&S and fire drills and be aware of the action taken in the event of an emergency (such as fire, flood, bomb threat, etc) as per the SOP Manual
- Contribute to the security of the building, company assets and guest/co-worker safety by reporting of suspicious persons and handling of keys/cash as appropriate to the position.
- Perform other duties as assigned. May also serve as manager on duty.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Cook's trade certification, or equivalent credentials, training and experience, are required.
- Experienced in Management training and several years of experience in commercial food preparation, including two years in a supervisory capacity
Experience as a sous-chef, specialist chef or chef.
- Fluent in French, as asset.
- Speak English
How To Apply
- Previous applicants need not apply again;
- Application submissions require you to register on-site;
- Resumes' MUST be in English;
- Include your current residence (address), phone number and your email address in your resume;
- Acceptable cv/resume file formats include Adobe Acrobat .pdf, Microsoft Word .doc or .docx;
- Please prepare your resume to the following format, example: jobtitle-firstname-lastname-ref#.fileformat
So, based on the above acceptable file formats, this specific job resume title would look like one of the following:
- Click the Apply Now link below;