Job Title: Master 500GT
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Number of Requirements: 1
Hours Per Week: 3 Week On, 3 Week Off
Location: Placentia, NL
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Master is fully responsible and accountable for the safe and efficient operation of the vessel.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the ship’s seaworthiness, stability and voyage planning are carried out according to regulations.
- Provide for safe navigation and good seamanship on board.
- Ensure that all ship certificates are valid and up to date.
- Ensure all ship’s crew have necessary certificates, relevant courses and valid and up to date Seafarer’s Medical, and make sure they are fit for the job assigned to them.
- See to that new crew members are given proper orientation and training on board
- Ensure that the crew carry out their tasks in a safe manner according to company policy
- Carry out weekly hygiene inspection on board
- Carry out inspections and checks of all emergency and safety equipment on board according to regulations
- Weekly inspections of life saving equipment incl. alarm systems
- See to that safety measures are followed and in place during bunkering according to company policy and Transport Canada regulations
- Participate and perform tasks as specified on fire and safety plan
- Lead fire and evacuation drills on board, and are in charge to carry out drills according to drill and exercise plan.
- See to that all required charts and publications are on board and updated with latest available updates.
- Keep record and carry out inspections/tests of all GMDSS equipment
- Responsible for cleaning of own cabin and weekly change of beddings.
- Responsible for all reports and checklists required to be completed, filed and forwarded according to company requirements.
- Make decisions with focus on safety and environmental concerns in mind, and ask for the company’s assistance when necessary.
- Motivate the crew to follow the company’s Safety and Environmental policy.
- Give appropriate orders and instructions with focus on good and clear communication.
- Verify that established requirements are followed
- Familiarise and keep updated on Company Safety Management System (SMS) and report any deficiencies to the shore based management
- Carry out annual crew performance reviews and report these to company management.
All marine positions have essential functions that personnel must be able to perform, minimum physical capacities and requirements that all personnel must meet, and working conditions that may be considered hazardous
- Be able to work flexible work schedules and hours while on rotation, up to 10 hours per day, 7 days per week while on shift. At times be able to work in excess of 10 hours per day;
- Work continuously on a 3 week on, 3 week off rotation at sea.
Possible shift adjustments of short notice in response to operational requirements may be necessary;
- Working year round in outside weather conditions,
- Live and work in cramped quarters;
- Ability to lift and handle equipment and weights in excess of 20kg.
- Ability to stand for long periods, bend, lift and reach
OTHER DEMONSTRATED COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
Communications and Interpersonal Skills
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to listen actively, respond verbally in a manner that is clear and respectful, and prepare written communications that are clear and concise;
- Relationship-building skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with crew and stakeholders, emit a pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment;
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
Administrative, Research and Analytical Skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to research, analyze and evaluate alternatives and develop recommendations related to a wide range of technical and operational issues;
- Strategic thinking skills, including the ability to identify risks and opportunities, and provide sound advice that contributes to well-informed decision-making.
Organizational and Time Management Skills
- Demonstrates keen attention to detail;
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed;
- Ability to manage time effectively;
- Ability to access essential information and communicate in a timely manner;
- Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple demands, meet tight deadlines, remain calm during crises, respond constructively and support others in challenging situations.
Leadership, Team Building and Personal skills
- Ability to inspire team members to achieve company as well as corporate goals;
- Possesses the capability to work as a team member;
- Ability to work well with all levels of management and support staff;
- Able to defuse conflicts among subordinate employees;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to be discreet and to maintain confidential information;
- Ability to function with high energy, initiative and flexibility;
- Ability to work on a number of projects and tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritizes and executes tasks in a high-pressure environment.
Specific Marine Knowledge
- Possesses knowledge of the various acts and regulations affecting the marine industry;
- Maintains current marine knowledge to ensure the company is aware of all requirements.
- Master 500 GT Near Coastal Certificate of Competency issued by Transport Canada
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Captain
- Valid Unrestricted Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Valid Marine Advanced First Aid and CPR C/AED
How To Apply
- Previous applicants need not apply again;
- Application submissions require you to register on-site;
- Resumes' MUST be in English;
- Include your current residence (address), phone number and your email address in your resume;
- Acceptable cv/resume file formats include Adobe Acrobat .pdf, Microsoft Word .doc or .docx;
- Please prepare your resume to the following format, example: jobtitle-firstname-lastname-ref#.fileformat
So, based on the above acceptable file formats, this specific job resume title would look like one of the following:
- Click the Apply Now link below;