Job Title: Ship Captain
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Number of Requirements: 1
Location: Clarenville, NL
A Ship Captain or Maritime Boat Captain maintains ultimate command of the vessel they are operating. While this may be a pressurized and demanding job, it is very much a rewarding experience, requiring someone with excellent man-management skills and an eye for detail.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all legal and company standards are adhered to in both the vessel and the crew, paying particular attention to any environmental issues such as oil spills or the emission of any other pollutants.
- Working within Maritime you will be responsible for the safety of the crew and any cargo, and so the Captain must regularly inspect vessels to assess whether they are seaworthy, and whether any machinery on-board is safe for use. Experience within the Maritime sector and technical knowledge of the vessel is required to be successful in this career, as is an in-depth understanding of tides, navigation and the effects of weather conditions.
- You are responsible for the safe operation of their vessel and must ensure that it is operated and crewed according to both company and legal guidelines.
- You must investigate any damage to the vessel, personal injuries of crew and the environmental effects of the vessel; this includes monitoring any pollution and checking for oil spills around the vessel and at ports and harbours. Health and safety is a priority.
- Responsible for the interviewing and hiring of crew members and the allocation of living quarters and work shifts of all crew members. You must maintain all on-board equipment, including machinery, engines and safety equipment with regular inspection.
- Navigate vessels using maps, radars and lights by the use of electronic devices and the following of contour lines.
- Monitor daily progress of the vessel, observing speed, engine pressure and water depths, and signalling any passing ships.
- You must adhere to any budgets and the purchasing and loading of fuel, supplies and equipment is your responsibility,
- Maintain full knowledge of the cargo carried by the vessel and answer any queries from customs officials.
- Conduct the crew in their tasks, monitoring the performance of licence and unlicensed crew.
- You must be educated to degree level and may also be required to hold any qualifications associated with the operation of a vessel.
- You must be a licensed mariner with experience as a Port Captain, Cargo Planner or other Maritime experience.
- Have in-depth knowledge of cargo storage, vessel maintenance and navigation.
There is a strong likelihood of extended stays away from home port and travels to many different global locations, so you must be prepared for long periods of travel away from home.
- Have strong man-management skills as the role is centered on the efficient coordination of crew members and the maintaining of a satisfied crew who are in line with company requirements.
- You must be organised and have a strong eye for detail, able to find any reason why the vessel may not be seaworthy or any machinery would be dangerous, or to deal with any problems effectively in open sea.
- You must be proficient in any software on the vessel, able to use it day-to-day or in an emergency.
How To Apply
- Previous applicants need not apply again;
- Application submissions require you to register on-site;
- Resumes' MUST be in English;
- Include your current residence (address), phone number and your email address in your resume;
- Acceptable cv/resume file formats include Adobe Acrobat .pdf, Microsoft Word .doc or .docx;
- Please prepare your resume to the following format, example: jobtitle-firstname-lastname-ref#.fileformat
So, based on the above acceptable file formats, this specific job resume title would look like one of the following:
- Click the Apply Now link below;